June 26th, 2020
We hope this finds you all well and healthy.
We would like to update you on the washroom here at La Jolla. This contains a lot of detail, so we will break it into 2 parts – what has occurred from January to June 1 and new updates since June 1st.
First, let’s review what has occurred up to June 1st:
- On January 17th, 2020, the Health & Sanitation department in Los Cabos informed the HOA Manager that an anonymous complaint had been filed on La Jolla Cluster 1 regarding the lack of bathrooms by the pools. The Health & Sanitation did an onsite visit at that time, tested pool water and reviewed the area.
- On January 17th, the Health & Sanitation department delivered a notification at the HOA Office indicating the need for 4 bathrooms, a shower and one sink to be installed between the two pools of La Jolla Cluster 1; with negotiation by our HOA Manager, they agreed to not fine us and to allow us to wait until our construction season to construct the bathrooms.
- On January 31st, the Board of Directors sent an update to homeowners of these events.
- During the Informational Meeting held on March 7th, Treasurer Rich Rose explained to homeowners that the range of the bathroom construction was estimated to range between $20,000 – $30,00 USD and this project was not currently in the General Assembly approved budget. He further explained that a process of sealed bids would be used to help determine an engineer contractor for construction during the construction season beginning May 31st.
During this Informational Meeting, homeowners discussed the option of taking legal action to challenge the order to building a bathroom based upon La Jolla being a private association of homes and not a public social organization. Renee Galvan, real estate attorney, provided information for the homeowners and stated that individuals could attempt to take such legal action, however, it would require significant funds for the Association to legally represent itself as the legal process could take years in the court.
- On April 5th, the government offices closed due to Covid-19 and all construction works were mandated by the government to stop. Therefore, neither a license for construction or construction was allowed to start until further notice. Homeowners were sent an update on Covid-19 and the washroom.
New updates as of June 1st:
- As of June 1st, the Governor of BCS allowed the governmental offices to re-open and allowed construction to start following the Covid-19 sanitary protocols.
- On June 8th, the Health and Sanitary department in Los Cabos delivered a new notification to the HOA Office on which they ruled the following: “By the present report that this health authority authorizes the placement of one sanitary service to comply with the procedure initiated with file number SSA/COEPRIS-C04/SA/3/2020, the foregoing derived as a result of held meeting and meeting the needs of the situation that currently occurs in the country and in our municipality due COVID -19, urging to fully comply with the other anomalies detected under the agreed period.”
- After receiving the notification, the HOA Manager also received a phone call from the Coordinator of the Health Department, informing her that 4 bathrooms and the shower were no longer necessary and single sanitary service could be constructed to comply with the previous order; The HOA Manager informed the Board of Directors accordingly, and the Board of Directors has since been working on a bathroom design and location that will meet the Health & Sanitation department new requirements.
- After further review with two outside engineering and architectural recommendations, The HOA Board of Directors has selected the east end of the D building common area. This location is between the two pools. Attached you will find the design with location information. BATHROOM DESIGN
- HOA Management and Board of Directors will continue to work to comply with the Health & Sanitation department in Los Cabos with the goal to complete the construction of the bathroom before the due date, which is October 31st, 2020.
We continue to work together with our Administration during these unprecedented and challenging times to keep you, as homeowners, informed.
Stay tuned for any further updates.
Wishing you all good health!
Board of Directors
Bonnie Robertson – President
Maye Anderson – Vice President
Rich Rose – Treasurer
Terren Roloff – Secretary
Pauline Lightfoot – Member at Large